Candle Care

Candles are amazing, but it's important to follow a few simple steps to get the maximum benefits out of your gorgeous candle. 

The first burn: 

The first burn is the most important burn of them all. You must allow the wax to completely melt to the edge of the container. The time it takes to do this will vary depending on the size of the container, but can vary between 2-4 hours. It may sound crazy but wax has a memory, and therefore if you do not allow your candle to burn properly on its first burn it will 'tunnel' and burn downwards in a small hole. Remember to trim your wick to 5mm before the first burn. 

Mushrooming & Trimming of the Wick:

Candles containing soy wax have a higher chance of a wick 'mushrooming'. This is a build up of black carbon which occurs at the top of the wick in the shape similar to a mushroom. This is absolutely normal, you just need to cut this off and trim your wick to around 5mm before every time you light your candle. If you do not cut this off, eventually the wick will become too large and fall into the hot candle wax, and the only way to get it out is to cut out the wax around it which will ruin the aesthetic look of your candle. 

Warning Instructions: 

Failure to follow instructions could result in a fire, hazard or injury. Never move a lit candle. Keep out of reach of children, pets and flammable materials. Place the candle on a stable, heat resistant surface. Avoid exposure to drafts. Never leave a lit candle unattended. Containers may become hot. At the end of combustion, a variable amount of wax may remain. Always store candles in a cool, dry place below 25C and away from direct sunlight. Keep candles free of debris. Discontinue use when 1/2" of wax remains to prevent heat damage. 

How to Clean Your Jar:

Step 1: Scoop out the remaining wax with a spoon. Sometimes the wick base will pop out with this, no worries if it doesn't. 

Step 2: Pour boiling water into the jar and leave for several minutes. Swivel it gently a few times, being careful not to spill any boiling water onto your hand. If the wick base is still in the jar, you can now use the spoon to scoop this out. Put the wick base in the bin, and pour the water down the sink. 

Step 3: Get a piece of white roll and wipe the inside of the jar. This will remove any soot and most of the grease from the wax. 

Step 4: Get a tea towel, and wipe the inside of the jar. This will remove all the remaining grease and you have a clean jar to reuse!

Step 5: To remove the label, pour a small amount of turps onto a piece of white roll, and rub it over the label. Leave it for several minutes for the turps to soak in, then come back and repeat the process. Get something flat and not sharp (like the wooden stick you get inside an ice cream), and gently remove the label. This should easily peel off, and if it doesn't just repeat the above step and leave for a little longer. Be very gentle at this stage and take your time if it's not peeling off right away, as the outside of the jars are painted and you do not want to scratch the paint off. Do not use something metal like a knife.